Friday, October 21, 2011

Stick Shift

As a teenager in the United States, I have not really had the chance to learn how to drive a manual transmission car.  That being said it is something that I would really like to do.  There is just something appealing about having to know more about the engine and the way the car runs than the nothing that we are required to know now.

Last Friday I went to volunteer at an after school center, and the guy that I rode with had a stick shift.  I thought it was so cool.  Having to recognize when your car is ready to go to the next gear seems to me like it would take a special skill.  Maybe this is just me romanticizing the idea of being able to drive with a manual transmission, but I still think that it's awesome.

Now that I think about it, I don't really even have a chance to drive a car with an automatic transmission too often.  Since I went to boarding school when I was 16, a school where we couldn't have cars, I only get to drive the little time that I am home.  Elizabeth and I were talking about this the other day and she was saying that basically even though I'm 18 I've really only been driving for like a year and a half.

How sad is that?

Anyway, I would love to hear about some old "learning to drive" stories.

Til Next Time,

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment