Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Big BIG God!

It's so easy to get caught up in the big picture, in looking into the future for what you think you are being called to do.  Sometimes we look so far ahead because we don't know, and aren't really listening to what God has planned for us in the situation that we are in right now.

I know that as I started school I just started to feel more and more alone, like I was alone in following Christ.  I know for a fact that that is not the case, but I was beginning to feel discouraged.  That is something that I have tried very hard not to do.  I heard once, "I'll be disappointed, but I'll never be discouraged."  That saying resonated with me when I first heard it.  It's saying that it is okay to be disappointed, that yes, the Lord doesn't always do what you expect or want, but that is no reason for you to become discouraged or to lose your faith in Him.

Diving into the word I thought would help me with this.  You know, immersing myself in His word, fighting the world around me by learning more about Him, and it did help, a little, but going it alone is not what we were meant to do.  We, as believers, were meant to join together, to radically change the world by sharing our beliefs, and that we cannot do alone.

So, you're probably wondering how the title of this post ties into the content at all, and I'm working on it.  I felt that the background was necessary for this to have the meaning I was going for.  Here it comes, this weekend I was at a beach retreat with some other young adults who are focused on God, or are trying to be, and our speaker was talking about how God can do anything, anything at all.  This is something that we often grow numb to as we grow up in the church.  We hear all of these amazing stories when we are kids, about a God that can make fire fall from the sky, about a God that kept a man inside a whale.  These stories are Sunday School classics.  So what happened?  How did the God that filled us with awe as children become this character that was confined to the limits of our minds?  That was a question that was presented to us.

I honestly don't have a good answer to that question.  Anything that I can think of is irrelevant when you really get down to the core of the problem.  When did God become the tame figure that most of us view Him as today?  Because truly, God is bigger than that.  He is bigger than anything that we can imagine.

        "Who has measured the oceans in the palm of his hand?  Who has used his hand to measure the 
        sky?  Who has used a bowl to measure all the dust of the earth and scales to weigh the mountains
        and hills?...  God sits on His throne above the circle of the earth, and compared to Him, people 
        are like grasshoppers.  He stretches out the the skies like a piece of cloth and spreads them out 
        like a tent to sit under."
                             - Isaiah 40:12,22


When our God is this great, how can we ever let that become mundane?  I know I have before, and I hope that I never do again.  He is beyond my wildest dreams, and He is willing to use me to things that I couldn't even imagine to do His will.  All I have to do is ask.



God Bless,

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment