Monday, October 17, 2011

Marching Band

This weekend I had a (most likely) once in a life time experience.  I went to a marching band competition.  My little sister Elizabeth plays clarinet in the marching band at her high school and I got to go to one of her competitions this weekend!

As geeky as that sounds it was actually pretty cool.  The bands spend all this time and effort working on their show.  They spend a week in the summer, if not more, learning music, teaching the freshmen to march, and starting on marching patterns.  Forgive me for my ignorance of the proper terms.

There were some really cool shows, I wish I had taken some pictures, but I didn't think about it at the time.  One show was based on the Wizard of Oz and the color guard was dressed up as the characters: Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Evil Witch of the West, and more.  It was very elaborate and quite a show.  The best one though was themed "Vegas".  Some of the color guard "changed" costumes up to three times.  At the end, three of the girls were dressed in full white with a feather headdress and clear heels that were unimaginably high.  There were lights involved and streamers shot out into the air at the end, mimicking fireworks.

That was a very good show, but one of my other favorites was the Asheboro marching band, who performed but wasn't actually competing.  One of their songs was the Safety Dance!  That just about made my night.  That and the fact that I got a funnel cake without having to go to the State Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment