Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Packing!

I am leaving tomorrow! While I can barely get this through my head, I suppose that means it's time for me to finally post about my packing experience.

First of all, I am attempting to take as little as possible, while still taking everything that I need. Right now the majority of the weight of my bag is taken up by toiletries. You know, the necessities, shampoo, conditioner. But then I also included things like, sunscreen, lotion, and a couple other hair products. And where would I be without my acne wash and cream? Up the creek, that's where. A majority of those things I was able to fit in the L.L.Bean toiletry bag that I've had for years. The rest I put in zip-lock bags so they wouldn't leak everywhere.


The other items in my check bag include a beach towel, sneakers, my yoga mat (yes, I am taking my yoga mat, and man does it take up some space), and then my clothes. Clothing for this trip includes:
  • about six dresses, 
  • two tank tops, 
  • one pair of non-workout shorts, 
  • one pair of jeans
  • two bathing suits
  • one pair of work-out shorts, 
  • yoga pants, 
  • two t-shirts (for exercise), 
  • underwear, etc.
  • and last but not least, pajamas
Normally I roll my clothes, even to put them in my drawers at home. In an effort to be as efficient as possible, and hopefully have a major reduction in wrinklage, I did a little research on different packing methods.

What I found could potentially be called the burrito method, and is similar to rolling. You start with all of your underwear, etc. in the middle, tightly wrapped in a t-shirt. Order the rest of your clothing from least-likely-to-wrinkle to most-likely-to-wrinkle, and then simply wrap the pieces one by one around this core. (Garments most-tailored/most-likely-to-wrinkle on the outside). My end product looked like this: 


Which is why I say it could be called the burrito method. This bundle is about a foot across, and a little over 6 or 7 inches tall. Since there is a chance that our luggage won't arrive at exactly the same time that we do, I have a similar, smaller bundle in my carry on with a couple days worth of clothes.

A carry on is for much more than clothes though, as I'm sure many of you know. It's where I have more valuable items, things I need to be easily accessible. Below you can see I have some electronics, my straightener (which I opted to take instead of a hair dryer), an umbrella, my bible and journal, and some reading materials provided by the program. Not shown, but included are a small make-up and jewelry bag, and some other electronics.


And how could I possibly make it through such a long flight process without some for-me books?


Even though it still hasn't hit me that I'm leaving, I think I'm ready to go. My mom is taking me to the airport early tomorrow morning, and I honestly don't think the reality of this trip will hit me until I've been in Valencia for three days.

¡Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment